Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chapter 4- Sofia's Love

“ You plan on rotting here?” Charles heard a familiar voice ask him.
As he slowly opened his eyes the sun blinded him from seeing the figure in front of him. He must have passed out from drinking.
“ Come on man....what would your mother say?” Zach reached down to pull his drunkened cousin up from the chair where he had fallen asleep.
“ How did you know I was here? “ Charles asked. His throat was raw from the Jack Daniels. He didn’t expect any visitors.
“ Man, I’ve know your ass since you were two you think I can’t find you?” Zach responded, “ How do you feel?”
Zach gazed at his cousin. After 26 years he had never seen Charles look so defeated, even when his mother passed away.
“ Why do you care?” Charles retorted, irritated at the fact he had been found in his secret hideout.
“Look man, I’m not the one who caused this mess I’m just trying to make sure you made it out ok. Especially since you dropped hiroshima on the fam and all.”
“ You were the one talking about how much the ring cost and my guessing,” Charles spitefully responded.
“ Calm down man, you know I would never wish any shit like this on you or Sofia,” Zach spat back.
Zach and Charles always had small tifts, even as kids. But this tift felt like war.
“ So what are you trying to say? This shit is all on me?!” Charles asked.
“ I just want to check on you man, that’s all,” Zach said gently.
“ Yea well I’m good,” Charles responded.
“ Good, then you can kick the cast away look and get freshened up, pop has been looking for you all over the place.”
“ yea I figured,” Charles responded guiltily, “ I’ll meet you at the house in an hour ok?” 
“ Aight man,” Zach responded hesitantly. He looked at Charles, “ You promise?”
“ Yea, bet.” Charles responded.
“ Aight man, I’ll see you in a few,” Zach got up from his chair and patted Charles on the shoulder, “ I love you man, no homo.” 
Charles let out a slight laugh, “ Love you too man.”
Charles waited until he heard Zach pull out of the dock before he headed below to freshen up.
He hadn’t showered in days. His 5 o’clock shadow looked more like 10 o’clock. The last time he shaved was the night after he broke the news. He remembered that evening as if it were yesterday.
“ Did you tell her? She asked.
“ Yea,” Charles lied.
“ How did she take it?” she asked again.
“ You already asked me that,” Charles snapped back.
“ I...I’m sorry,” she bowed her head in shame. 
Charles felt bad for being so mean, “ I”m sorry I’m not in my right mind, how are you holding up? You know with everything and all?”
“ I’m still kicking, well should I say he’s still kicking,” She motioned down to her stomach. 
“ Good,” Charles rubbed the bulge that housed his future son. 
He had asked her to meet him in their usual spot on the other side of Hollywood, he didn’t want to run the risk of anyone seeing him after last night.
“ So, what’s next?” she asked.
Charles sighed,” I’ll find a house for us and the baby, can you give me a month at least.”
“ I can do that,” She responded sweetly, “ Can I shop with you?”
“ NO!” Charles quickly responded.
“ What do you mean NO?!” her voice began to raise, “ You told her already why hide? I thought this is what you wanted?” 
“ It is,” Charles tried to gather his thoughts, “ It’s just complicated right now okay?” 
“ The last thing I want is for anything to happen to you or my son,” he continued.
“OUR son,” she quickly spat.
“ Right. Our son.” Charles said quietly.
“ 30 days Charles that’s it I’m ready to be a family just like you promised,” she reminded him.
“ And we will be, I just need time to clean up the mess so it can just be me, you, and the baby,” Charles grasped her hand and gently squeezed it. He felt the tension release as she became comforted by his touch.
“ Okay,” she responded. He leaned in and kissed her gently on her forehead.
As Charles wiped the steam from the shower off of his mirror, he stared at the man in the mirror. He no longer knew who he was he just knew that he had to make moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment